Maverick will automatically cache maps after downloading. For a small area, just connect to Wi-Fi and scroll map to a place you are planning to visit. Every downloaded tile saved to SD card and will be available without the Internet connection.
Downloading maps on Mac/PC with MOBAC (Mobile Atlas Creator):
1. Download maps in RMaps SQLite format. YouTube video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJ8Ju-choE
2. Copy resulting .sqlitedb file to "/Maverick/maps/" folder.
3. Tap on Maverick icon in the top left corner, select Maps > Manage....
4. Select your map from the list. Tap on the star to add it to favorites.
5. To specify a map tile server, please read this instruction.